We attended the ILA air show September 11 th and 12 th. Blue and Grey skies, good temperature and a nice selection of aircraft gave us enough to capture. On September 12th we were able to take a tour on the (still not opened) Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport witch will replace the current Schönefeld Airport.
Working an enormouse load of photo’s resulted in this photo report of the 2012 Farnborough Air Show.
Like the complete summer of 2012 Farnborough surprised us with sun, heavy clouds and rain.. these are the results.
The Sikorsky S-38 was an American twin-engined 8-seat amphibious aircraft. It was often referred to as an “Air Yacht”, it was stylish and luxurious and had wheels making it a true amphibian seaplane.
Developing nation: United States.
Production Lines: .
Type aircraft: Amphibious aircraft.
First flight: 25 May 1928.
First delivery: October 1928.
This Sikorsky S-38B replica of the Filmmakers Martin and Osa Johnson zebra-striped S-38 Osa’s Ark. Martin Johnson and his wife Osa made the Sikorsky S-38 famous during his exploration of the African Continent.
- Crew: Two
- Capacity: 8 passengers
- Length: 12.27 m (40 ft 3 in)
- Wingspan: 21.85 m (71 ft 8 in)
- Height: 4.22 m (13 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 68.6 m² (720 ft²)
- Empty weight: 2,727 kg (6,000 lb)
- Loaded weight: 4,764 kg (10,480 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp 9-cylinder air-cooled radial engines, 400 hp (298 kW) each
- Maximum speed: 192 km/h (104 knots, 120 mph)
- Range: 1,200 km (648 nm, 750 miles)
- Service ceiling: 4,878 m (16,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 229 m/min (750 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 69 kg/m² (14.5 lb/ft²)
- Power/mass: 0.13 kW/kg (0.08 hp/lb)
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Rob Vogelaar