Lancair T-90 Calima
Lancair T-90 Calima a modernized version of the Lancair Legacy is a low-wing two place retractable-gear composite monoplane, manufactured by USA company Lancair. Used for primary flight training of Colombian Air Force Pilots.
Developing nation: USA.
Production Lines: built under licence in Colombia by SudAir Corporation, and CIAC
Type aircraft: primary flight training.
First flight: September 2010.
State: in service.
The aircraft feature 15% more wing area than the standard Legacy FG wing, leading-edge cuffs and a ventral fin to improve stability and low-speed handling along with a reshaped vertical tail and rudder. The aircraft are known as the Lancair Synergy and were delivered as kits for assembly in Colombia.
Like every Lancair, the T-90 major airframe is constructed of advanced composite materials. Cured at 270 degrees Fahrenheit under vacuum pressure, these NASA tested, epoxy based composites are among the lightest, strongest, stiffest materials known.
The high-temperature, pre-impregnated carbon fiber and/or fiberglass systems combined with Nomex/honeycomb core materials are considered the supreme composite airframe materials of choice worldwide. This combination allows compound aerodynamic shapes, such as the Legacy’s sculptured fuselage and double-taper wing, and there are no drag-producing rivets or lap joints. Corrosion resistant, a nearly infinite fatigue life and virtually non-flammable, composite materials also extend the life of the airframe.
In the cockpit, the T-90 offers a center stick intended to facilitate the transition to higher-performance aircraft for trainee pilots.
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 6.71 m (22 ft 0 in)
- Wingspan: 7.77 m (25 ft 6 in)
- Wing area: 7.66 m2 (82.5 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 7.95
- Empty weight: 680 kg (1,500 lb)
- Gross weight: 998 kg (2,200 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 246 litres (65 US gallons)
- Powerplant: 1 × Continental IO-360-N six cylinder, four-stroke aircraft engine, 200 hp (149 kW)
- Propellers: 3-bladed constant speed
- Cruise speed: 444 km/h (276 mph; 240 kn) at 2,438 m (8000 feet)
- Stall speed: 105 km/h (65 mph; 56 kn) flaps down
- Range: 1,851 km (1,150 mi; 999 nmi) at 2,438 m (8000 feet) with reserves
- Service ceiling: 5,486 m (18,000 ft)
- G limits: +4.4/-2.2 utility category, +3.8/-2,0 normal category
- Rate of climb: 10 m/s (2,000 ft/min) at gross weight
- Wing loading: 110 kg/m² (23 lb/sq ft)
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Rob Vogelaar