The Eclipse 500 is a small six-seat business jet aircraft manufactured by Eclipse Aviation. When Eclipse Aviation of Albuquerque decided to manufacture a private jet their objective was to create something that would be competitively priced but still provide outstanding performance levels and the sleek quality interior a private jet requires. With the Eclipse 500, they met these requirements, delivering a stylish very light jet (VLJ) that offers a simple, reliable and fuel efficient option to air travellers worldwide. Its refined cabin features LED overhead lighting plus highly adjustable seating with generous recline and fold-over function, leather armrests and storage pockets. The cabin can hold up to six passengers, meaning the Eclipse 500 is perfect for individuals and small groups looking to travel shorter distances.
Developing nation: United States.
Manufacturer/designer: Eclipse Aviation.
Production Lines: Albuquerque, NM.
Type aircraft: Business Jet.
First flight: 26 August 2002.
First delivery: 31 December 2006.
Produced: 260 from January 2001 – November 2008
The prototype and only V-Jet II aircraft was obtained by Eclipse Aviation along with the program, and was donated to the Experimental Aircraft Association AirVenture museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin in 2001.
General characteristics Eclipse 500
- Crew: one or two pilots
- Capacity: 4 to 5 passengers
- Length: 10.1 m (33 ft 1 in)
- Wingspan: 11.4 m (37 ft 3 in)
- Height: 3.4 m (11 ft 0 in)
- Empty weight: 1,610 kg (3,550 lb)
- Loaded weight: 2,504 kg (5,520 lb)
- Useful load: 1,089 kg (2,400 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 2,699 kg (5,950 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada PW610F turbofan engines, 900 lbf (4 kN flat-rated to > ISA+10C) each
- Maximum speed: 685 km/h (370 knots, 425 mph)
- Stall speed: 128 km/h (69 knots, 79 mph) in landing configuration
- Range: 2,084 km (IFR with 45min NBAA reserve) (1,295 mi, 1,125 nm)
- Service ceiling: 12,500 m (12,500 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,044 m / min (3,424 ft / min)
- Takeoff distance: 715 m (2,345 ft)
- Landing distance: 686 m (2,250 ft)
- Avio Next Generation (aka Avio NG)
- Displays: Two 768 x 1024 resolution PFDs and one 1440 x 900 resolution MFD
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Rob Vogelaar