The Dornier 228 is a twin-turboprop STOL utility aircraft, manufactured by Dornier GmbH (later DASA Dornier, Fairchild-Dornier) from 1981 until 1998. According to requirements it can transport up to 19 passengers but it is also suited to carry cargo or operate in a variety of patrol, scientific and support missions. As a true and robust STOL (short take off and landing) aircraft it is capable to start and land on unpaved runways.
Developing nation: Germany.
Manufacturer/designer: Dornier GmbH (later DASA Dornier, Fairchild-Dornier)
Production line: Oberpfaffenhofen.
Type aircraft: Small STOL regional transport aircraft.
First flight: March 21, 1981.
First delivery: Norving Flyservice in July 1982
Produced: 1981 – 1998.
The aircraft operates from land and can be used for the following missions:
- Search and Rescue (SAR);
- Environmental flights;
- Ship monitoring and fisheries inspection;
- Aviation training (BOL).
The Dornier 228-212 Marine Patrol has:
- Side-looking Airborne Radar. That can be used to detect pollution in the water during night flights.
- Foward-looking infrared camera. To be able to observe violations and people in the water at all times.
- Sampling device, to take sea-water samples.
- Ejectable rescue raft.
- Bhutan – Royal Bhutan Army
- Finland – Finnish Border Guard
- Germany – German Navy
- India – Indian Air Force, Indian Coast Guard, Indian Navy
- Italy – Italian Army
- Malawi – Military of Malawi
- Netherlands – Royal Netherlands Air Force
- Oman – Oman Police Air Wing
General characteristics Dornier 228-212
- Crew: 2 pilots
- Capacity: 19 passengers
- Payload: 2,340 kg freight (5,158 lb)
- Length: 16.56 m (54 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 16.97 m (55 ft 8 in)
- Height: 4.86 m (15 ft 11 in)
- Wing area: 32.0 m² (344 sq ft)
- Airfoil: A-5
- Empty weight: 3,739 kg (8,243 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 6,600 kg (14,550 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Garrett AiResearch TPE-331-5-252D or -10 variation turboprop, 578 kW (776 shp/715 shp flat rated for -10 powerplants) each
- Never exceed speed: 472 km/h (255 knots, 293 mph)
- Maximum speed: 433 km/h (234 knots, 269 mph) at 3,050 m (10,000 ft) (max cruise)
- Cruise speed: 315 km/h (170 knots, 196 mph) at 610 m (2,000 ft) (long-range cruise)
- Stall speed: 148 km/h (78 knots, 89.7 mph) with flaps
- Range: 1,111 km (715 nmi, 823 mi) with full payload
- Service ceiling: 8,535 m (28,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 7.5 m/s (1,870 ft/min)
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Rob Vogelaar / Marcel van Leeuwen