The Antonov An-148 Kiev, Ukraine, is a regional twin engine jet aircraft.
Developing nation: Ukraine.
Manufacturer/designer: Antonov Design Bureau.
Production line: Kiev Aviation Plant AVIANT, Voronezh Aircraft Production Association Russia
Type aircraft: airliner.
First flight: 17 December 2004
Certification: 26 February 2007
The An-148 aircraft is a high-wing monoplane with two turbofan jet engines mounted in pods under the wing. This arrangement protects the engines and wing structure against damage from foreign objects (FOD). A built-in auto-diagnosis system, auxiliary power unit, high reliability, as well as the wing configuration allow the An-148 to be used at poorly equipped airfields. Modern flight and navigation equipment, multifunctional displays and a fly-by-wire system enable the An-148 aircraft to operate day and night, under Instrument flight rules (IFR) and Visual flight rules (VFR) weather conditions on high density air routes. The An-148 cockpit features five 15 cm by 20 cm (6″ by 8″) liquid crystal display (LCD) panels built by Russia’s Aviapribor and fly-by-wire flight controls. The main landing gear rotate into wells in the aircraft’s belly, the legs being covered by partial doors. The sides of the tires are exposed to the air in flight like in the Boeing 737. Other design advantages include the high fuel-efficiency of the Motor Sich D-436-148 engines and entrance stairs that enable boarding and deboarding the plane without extra ground equipment.
The An-148-100 regional aircraft is the main model of the An-148. It seats 70 passengers at 34 inch pitch (864 mm) or up to 80 passengers at 762 mm (30 in) pitch in a one class 2+3 seating layout. The aircraft is also configurable in a multiple-class layout which can carry fewer passengers, typically with 4 abreast business class.
- Crew: 2
- Capacity: 68 (8+60, mixed), 75 (1-class, typical), 78/80 (1-class, dense)
- Length: 29.13 m (95 ft 7 in)
- Wingspan: 28.91 m (94 ft 10 in)
- Height: 8.19 m (26 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 87.32 m2 (939.9 sq ft)
- Cabin Width: 3.15 m (10 ft 4 in)
- Cabin Height: 2.00 m (6 ft 7 in)
- Max takeoff weight: 41,950 kilograms (92,500 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Progress D-436 6,830 Kg (15,058 lb, 67.0 kN)
- Cruise speed: 800 km/h to 870 km/h (497 mph to 541 mph)
- Range: 4,400 kilometres (2,700 mi)
- Service ceiling: 12,200 m (40,000 ft)
- Takeoff Run at MTOW: 1,885 metres (6,184 ft)
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Rob Vogelaar / Marcel van Leeuwen