The Eurocopter EC120 Colibri is a 5-seat, single-engine, single main rotor, light helicopter.
Developing nation: France/China.
Manufacturer/designer: Eurocopter, China National Aero-Technology Import & Export Corporation (CATIC), Harbin Aviation Industries (Group) Ltd (HAI) and Singapore Technologies Aerospace Ltd (STAero).
Production Lines: Eurocopter France’s Marignane facility, China by Harbin as the HC120.
Type aircraft: Light helicopter.
First flight: 9 June 1995.
State: in service.
This lightweight rotary-wing aircraft integrates the most modern technologies, including a new-generation Fenestron® tail rotor for low operating noise and maximum flight control efficiency, crashworthy seats and fuel system, and the Vehicle and Engine Multifunction Display (VEMD) for pilots.
General characteristics Eurocopter EC120B Colibri
- Crew: 1 or 2 pilots
- Capacity: 4 passengers
- Length: 9.6 m (31 ft 5 in)
- Rotor diameter: 10.0 m (32 ft 8 in)
- Height: 3.4 m (11 ft 2 in)
- Empty weight: 991 kg (2,185 lb)
- Useful load: 724 kg (1,596 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,715 kg (3,781 lb)
- Powerplant: 1× Turbomeca Arrius 2F turboshaft, 376 kW (504 shp)
- Never exceed speed: 278 km/h (150 knots, 172 mph)
- Cruise speed: 223 km/h (120 knots, 138 mph)
- Range: 710 km (383 nm, 440 mi)
- Service ceiling: 5,182 m (17,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 5.84 m/s (1,150 ft/min)
Vehicle and Engine Multifunction Display (VEMD) with First Limit Indicator (FLI) fitted as standard.
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Rob Vogelaar.