The Grumman C-2A Greyhound is a twin-engine cargo aircraft, designed to provide critical logistics support to aircraft carriers of the United States Navy. Its primary mission is Carrier onboard delivery (COD). The first flight took place on 18 November 1964 with first delivery in 1966.
The first batch of seventeen aircraft were overhauled from1973 to extend their operational life. In 1984, 39 new aircraft (C-2A(R)) were built to replace the first batch of aircraft. All old C-2As were phased out in 1987.
The C-2A has a wide range of communications and radio navigation equipment that is compatible with both military and civil airways on a worldwide basis. Communications equipment includes HF, VHF, and UHF; radio navigation aids include GPS, TACAN, dual VOR, UHF/DF, LF/ADF, weather radar, Doppler radar, and two carrier approach systems. The crew consists of a Pilot, Copilot, Crewchief, and Loadmaster / Second Crewman.
The entire fleet of current 34 C-2A(R) are undergoing? a Critical Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) will provide cost-effective, carrier-on-board delivery for the next 20 years. The fleet of US Navy C-2As are currently being outfitted (SLEP)?with,enhancements to the centre wing, an aircraft rewire, improvements of the avionics systems and with?the same NP2000 eight-blade propellers that are also being used on the E-2 Hawkeye fleet.
|Role||twin-engine cargo aircraft|
|First flight||18 November 1964|
|Primary users||US Navy|
General characteristics C-2A(R)
- Crew: 2 pilots, 2 aircrew
- Capacity: 26 passengers, 12 litter patients
- Payload: 4,536 kg (10,000 lb)
- Length: 17.30 m (56 ft 10 in)
- Wingspan: 24.60 m (80 ft 7 in)
- Height: 4.85 m (15 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 65 sq m (700 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 15,310 kg (33,746 lb)
- Loaded weight: 22,405 kg (49,394 lb)
- Useful load: 9,350 kg (20,608 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 24,655 kg (60,000 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 x Allison T56-A-425 turboprops, 4,800 shp (3,400 kW) each
- Maximum speed: 553 km/h (343 knot, 394 mph) at 12,000 ft (3,660 m)
- Cruise speed: 465 km/h (251 knots, 289 mph) at 28,700 ft (8,750 m)
- Stall speed: 152 km/h (82 knots, 94 mph) at idle power
- Range: 2,400 km (1,300 nm,1,496 mi)
- Service ceiling: 10,210 m (33,500 ft)
- Rate of climb: 13.3 m/s (2,610 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 378.9 kg/sq m (77.6 lb/sq ft)