Avro 504

The Avro 504 developed directly from the E500 machine. It moved rapidly into production, first flying 18 September 1913. The Avro 504, two-seater biplane, it’s equal-span wings balanced the fuselage, whose box-girder body blended into to the circular housing for the 80 HP Gnome rotary engine.

The 504K version had adapters, which allowed the installation of several different types of rotary engines. This aircraft had an undistinguished combat career, but it proved to be an excellent trainer.

The AVRO 504 had the distinction of being the first Allied aircraft shot down in battle, and it made the first bombing run over Germany. As early as November 1914, three 504s carried out a ‘mass’ bombing raid on German airship construction sheds at Friedrichshafen. In 1915 the Avro was adapted for training duties and remained in this role until the late 1920’s.

Production totalled 8,970 and continued for almost twenty years.

Avro 504K E3349 RAF

Developing Nation:

United Kingdom

Manufacturer/designer:

Avro

Task:

Two-seat trainer

First Flight:

18 September 1913

First Delivery:

1914

First Mission:

22 August 1914

Type:

Avro 504K

Crew:

2

Wing Span:

11,00 m

Wing Area:

30,7 m

Length:

8,97 m

Height:

3,20 m

Engine (s):

1x Le Rhone ?Rotary (110 hp)

Weight empty:

558?kg

Max. Take off weight:

830?kg

Max. Speed:

145 km/h

Cruise Speed:

126 km/h

Max. Range:

400 km

Rate of climb:

3,6 m/s

Service ceiling:

4.875 m

Weapons:

1x machine-gun ?

Normal Bomb-load: 100 Kg.

Extra:

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*