Designed by Oleg Antonov during the 2Nd world war, the largest bi-plane in the world.
The plane was very versatile, it was used as passenger plane, freight, exploration, ambulance duties, and agricultural services. The plane is very strong and rugged and therefor very suitable for duties in the Soviet Union.
Because it was so popular a great number were built (around 18,000) after the fall of the Soviet Union western buyers bought the An-2 for parachuting and as freighters for wilderness places like Alaska and the high north of Canada.
|Developing Nation:||Ukraine and Poland|
|Task:||General purpose utility|
|First Flight:||August 31st 1947|
|Crew:||– Flight-crew: 1 or 2- Passenger accommodation: 12|
|Upper Wing Span:||18.18 m|
|Lower Wing Span:||14.24 m|
|Upper Wing Area:||43.5 m|
|Lower Wing Area:||28.0 m|
|Engine (s):||1000 hp, PZL Kalisz ASz-61IR nine cylinder radial piston engine driving an AW-2 four blade variable pitch propeller|
|Max.Take off weight:||5500 kg|
|Max. Speed:||258 km/h|
|Max. Range:||at 1000 m with a 500 kg cargo: 900 km|
|Weapons:||none, although some are modified to carry bombs|
Countries that use the An-2
All pictures courtesy of Zijde Aviation Photo and Publishing, Marcel van Leeuwen and Rob Vogelaar.